H2 Tech Bulletins
Updated April 15, 2009
2003 TSB# 03102005 Steering gear whistle noise on turns.
2003 TSB# 030235006 Revised steering wheel replacement procedure.
2003 TSB# 040138015 Diagnostic Info for moan groan or boom noise at idle vibration in steering wheel or felt thru floor when AC compressor engages do not replace AC compressor.
2003 TSB# 030091001A Vibration Analysis worksheet, various models incl 2004 and prior passenger cars and trucks.
2003 TSB# 000235003E Clunking noise under hood and can be felt in steering wheel. This bulletin replaces previous bulletin 00-02-35-003E.
2003 TSB# 000235003 Clunking noise under hood and can be felt in steering wheel. Updated.
2003 TSB# 01634 Intermediate steering shaft service kit. Service VME.
2003 TSB# 01634A Supplement to 00-02-35-003D Clunking noise under hood and can be felt in the steering wheel
H2 Clunking noise
Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can be Felt in Steering Wheel (Replace Upper Intermediate Steering Shaft Assembly) #00-02-35-003H - (Apr 19, 2005)
Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can be Felt in Steering Wheel (Replace Upper Intermediate Steering Shaft Assembly)
2002-2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
2003 Cadillac Escalade ESV
1999-2003 Chevrolet Silverado
2000-2003 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe
2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche
1999-2003 GMC Sierra
2000-2003 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL
2003 HUMMER H2
(Affected vehicles include both 2WD and 4WD)
This Service Bulletin DOES NOT include Mid-Size Utilities such as Buick Rainier, Chevrolet TrailBlazer Models, GMC Envoy Models or Oldsmobile Bravada. Refer to Service Bulletin 02-02-35-006A or newer for Mid-Size Utilities.
This bulletin is being revised to inform dealers that GMSPO has sufficient inventory on improved I- shafts. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-02-35-003G (Section 02 -- Steering).
Some customers may comment on a clunk-type noise coming from under the hood that also can be felt in the steering wheel. These conditions may be more noticeable when turning at low speeds on rough road surfaces.
Replace the steering column upper intermediate shaft with an improved design shaft that will eliminate the clunk noise using the procedure listed below.
1. Set the front wheels in the straight-ahead position.
Notice: On 2002 and later model year vehicles, the steering column LOCK was removed from the steering column. It is critical that the J 42640 Steering Column Anti-Rotation Pin is used when servicing these steering columns. Failure to use the J 42640 may result in damage to the SIR coil.
2. Set the steering wheel in the LOCK position on 2001 and prior vehicles.
3. Install the J 42640 in the steering column lower access hole.
4. From under the hood, remove the lower bolt that connects the upper intermediate shaft to the steering gear coupling shaft.
5. Slide the shaft towards the dash in order to disengage the shaft from the steering gear coupling shaft.
6. For vehicles equipped with adjustable foot pedals, do the following steps.
- Reposition the carpet away from the accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor.
- Remove the two nuts retaining the accelerator pedal to the bulkhead.
- Reposition the accelerator pedal out of the way so that the intermediate shaft can be removed.
10. From inside the vehicle, remove the upper bolt from the upper intermediate steering shaft (1) to the steering column connection.
11. Remove the upper intermediate steering shaft assembly.
- From inside the vehicle, slide the shaft down and off the steering column shaft.
- From inside the vehicle, slide the upper intermediate shaft through the dash boot seal and remove the shaft from the vehicle.
13. Replace the upper intermediate shaft. See the parts table below.
14. Install the upper intermediate steering shaft through the dash boot seal and slide the lower end into the steering gear coupling shaft.
15. Raise the upper end of the intermediate steering shaft and install into the steering column shaft.
16. Install the upper bolt and nut.
Tighten the bolt to 47 Nb"m (35 lb ft).
17. Install the lower bolt and nut.
Tighten the bolt to 50 Nb"m (37 lb ft).
18. For vehicles equipped with adjustable foot pedals, do the following steps.
- Reposition the accelerator pedals into position on the bulkhead.
- Install the two retaining nuts.
Tighten the nuts to 20 Nb"m (15 lb ft).
- Reposition the carpet back into place.
Part Number Description Qty
88965505 Shaft, Upper Intermediate Shaft
Use on all 1500 Series trucks:
Except 1500 HD 1
89060582 Shaft, Upper Intermediate Shaft
Use on all 2500 and 3500 Series Trucks and
Parts are currently available from GMSPO.
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
Labor Operation Description Labor Time
E7700 Shaft, Steering Intermediate-Upper - Replace 0.3 hr
Add For vehicles equipped with adjustable foot pedals 0.1 hr
H2 Outside Rearview Mirrors
Adm Msg - 2003-2005 HUMMER H2 Outside Rearview Mirrors #HUS20050065 - (Sep 19, 2005)
2003-2005 HUMMER H2 Outside Rearview Mirrors
The outside rearview mirrors have been redesigned for the 2006 HUMMER H2 and are much improved over those used on prior models. Should you have the need to replace a mirror on a 2003-2005 H2, replace both mirrors with the 2006 parts which are a slightly different design. Also, the new mirrors are all chrome - there is no black version (this should be fine for most customers). The new part numbers are 15835056 (LH) and 15835057 (RH).
These new P/Ns are not currently available through GMSPO but are expected to be available the week of October 17, 2005. It is suggested to delay any mirror replacement until that time. However, if a customer prefers not to wait or wants the original mirror, the older parts are available in quantity.